Cedar Rapids Sets Grim Record with Most Murders in Single Year
Last weekend, Cedar Rapids set a new mark that no one wanted to reach. The most homicides in one calendar year. There have now been nine people murdered in the city in 2020, with five-and-a-half months left in the year. According to Iowa’s News Now, city records on homicides date back to 1959.
The Cedar Rapids Police Department has confirmed 19-year-old Keyshawn Allers of Palo died early Sunday morning after being shot multiple times in Summit View Village, located in the 100 block of Curtis Street SW.
Police were called to the scene at 3:54 a.m. Sunday, July 13, on a report of shots fired. Despite efforts by Area Ambulance Service personnel, firefighters, and police, Allers died at the scene.
Allers played high school football at Cedar Rapids Kennedy. Head Coach Brian White, who coached Allers for three seasons, told the Gazette, “He was a good kid, a tremendous athlete, and a pleasure to have around.”
The investigation into Allers’ death continues.
The eight other homicide victims in Cedar Rapids this year are:
- 20-year-old Malik Sheets was shot and killed in the 1000 block of Regent St. NE on Thursday, June 18.
- 69-year-old Daniel Spangler was found dead in a home at 508 B Avenue NW on Friday, May 22. He had been shot.
- 25-year-old Asia Grice was shot and killed Friday, May 1 in an apartment in the 1600 block of 30th St. NW. Grice was pregnant at the time. Johnnie Osborne IV has been charged in the case.
- 16-year-old Judeah Dawson was shot and killed Wednesday, April 22 in the 200 block of 15th St NW.
- 27-year-old Jordan Haynes was found in a vehicle off I-380 and 76th Ave. SW Thursday, March 12. His death was confirmed to be a homicide, but no other information was released.
- 35-year-old Tremaine Williams died after being stabbed in the 700 block of 8th Ave. SW on Wednesday, March 4. Jacqueline Holmes has been charged with his murder.
- 22-year-old Jose Eduardo Millan-Ramirez was shot and killed at Ashton Place Apartments at 634 Ashton Place NE on Tuesday, January 28.
- 18-year-old Andrew Gaston was shot and killed in the parking lot in the 3200 block of Agin Court NE on Friday, January 24. In March, Cedar Rapids Police announced they had arrested two juveniles on multiple charges in the case.