1st Avenue East and CeMar Trail project update
Cedar Rapids, Iowa – Pavement, service, signal, and pedestrian construction on the 1st Avenue East and CeMar Trail project begins. Beginning on Tuesday, May 25, traffic flows will be shifted to recently completed pavement to enable the contractor to continue working in other areas. Changes in traffic will include:
- 1st Avenue and 27th Street intersection: 1st Avenue remains open one lane each direction; no turning movements from 27th Street onto 1st Avenue
- 1st Avenue and 29th Street intersection: 1st Avenue remains open one lane each direction; intersection open to all turning movements
This changes will remain in place for two months.
Crews are working on improvements also on 27th Street to improve visibility which will hopefully result with reducing crashes. The overall 1st Avenue project includes many traffic safety improvements, including:
- New pedestrian-friendly traffic signals at 27th Street, 29th Street, and 32nd Street
- Sidewalk repairs
- ADA-compliant sidewalk ramps at all intersections
- The completion of the ADA-compliant pedestrian path under 1st Avenue, with continuous LED lighting
The project is expected to be finished this fall.