FORT DODGE, Iowa —
A woman and child were injured after a fire was started at the Quality Inn Hotel in Fort Dodge.
The Fort Dodge Police Department arrived on the scene at about 10:24 a.m. Friday. When they arrived, there was heavy smoke in the halls and a fire had started in room 155.
Authorities said two occupants of the room, a woman and a child, had suffered from smoke inhalation.
They were able to extinguish the fire before it spread to other parts of the building.
“The fire room suffered heavy fire damage and smoke damage occurred throughout the facility,” the fire department released in a statement. “The facility did not have a sprinkler system as it was constructed before they were required in the fire code. It did have a working alarm system that did operate and alert occupants to the fire.”
Authorities said the cause of the fire was a child playing with a lighter.
Local News6 days ago
Cedar Rapids organization reimburses families at Pierce Elementary for overdue lunch money
Local News5 days ago
Reynolds’ bill was tabled by House Republicans, and now the new AEA bill is up for discussion
Local News4 days ago
Three candidates apply for the at-large seat on the Des Moines City Council
Local News3 days ago
Representative Ashley Hinson speaks at Linn County GOP convention
Local News23 hours ago
Iowa bill would cap insulin prices at $75 a month
Local News2 days ago
Residents of Iowa City praise honor Ashley Bryan on Sunday in recognition of Black History Month
Local News2 hours ago
Iowa Senate passes ‘Religious Freedom Restoration Act’