Connect with us

Local News

Victim identified in early morning apartment fire in Cedar Rapids



CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa – Officials have released the name of the man injured in an apartment fire in Cedar Rapids early on Thursday.

Officials say Robert Wesley Mischek, 82, was found unconscious on the floor of an apartment at the Valley View Apartments, located at 427 Ashton Place NE.

At 1:00 A.M. on Thursday, crews were called to the three-story apartment complex for a report of an air conditioner on fire. When they arrived, authorities say flames were coming from the air conditioner opening and were visible on the exterior of the building.

After finding Mischek, firefighters were able to move him to the outside of the building where emergency medical care was provided. He was taken by Area Ambulance Service to a local hospital.

Officials say Mischek sustained life-threatening injuries and was transferred to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.

Authorities say the fire was contained to the one apartment unit on the ground floor of the complex. Other adjoining apartment units were evacuated, but occupants were allowed to return after firefighters ventilated the apartments of any smoke and determined that there was no indication of harmful gases from products of combustion.

An investigation by the Fire Department determined the fire originated from smoking materials discarded near a recliner in the apartment unit.

One person was taken to the hospital after a fire in northeast Cedar Rapids.

Firefighters were called to the Valley View Apartments, near C Avenue and Boyson Road, at around 1 a.m.

Officials said an air conditioner was on fire, and the flames were visible from the exterior of the building.

The apartment was located on the ground floor and the fire was contained to the one unit.

Fire crews entered the apartment and found a person unconscious.

First responders took that person to an area hospital. Their condition is unknown.