Anniversary of derecho to be marked in Marion
Marion, Iowa – On Tuesday, Aug. 10, the city of Marion will host a series of events to commemorate the derecho. The events are meant to commemorate the anniversary and reflect on the accomplished progress.
“The 2020 derecho will be etched in our collective memory not only as the greatest natural disaster in Marion’s history, but also one of its finest moments. At a time of great hardship, we set aside our differences and did what needed to be done to help our neighbors. We united around a common purpose and our shared humanity, and in turn, we experienced the true power of community,” said Marion Mayor Nicolas AbouAssaly.
On August 10, 2021, the following events will take place:
- A commUNITY lunch grilled by Marion Hy-Vee while supplies last
- A canned food drive to benefit the Churches of Marion Food Pantry in City Square Park
- The reading of a proclamation
- Unveiling of a new tree carving by Carve-R-Way artist Clint Henik
2 p.m. :
- A ceremonial tree planting in Thomas Park
- Information about the re-planting efforts to date and future plans to restore Marion’s tree canopy with Marion’s Urban Forestry Division and Trees Forever
3 p.m. :
- Dedication of a derecho-inspired art installation in the atrium of Marion City Hall by local artist Cara Briggs Farmer
4-6 p.m. :
- Future Focused: United through Recovery social event hosted by Marion Economic Development Corporation, Marion Chamber of Commerce and Uptown Marion and sponsored by Collins Community Credit Union to reflect on the anniversary of the derecho and take note of the forward momentum and development activity that continues in the community- Free to attend, reservations required.
6 p.m. & 8 p.m. :
- Derecho Oral History Readers Theatre presented by Marion Public Library and Giving Tree Theater featuring actors reading a selection of oral histories conducted in the spring of 2021 – Limited seating, free to attend but advance reservations are required.
Click here for more information.